Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

063 - Banger Don't Quit

I did have a rant planned for today, but I am going to save it for a more applicable song, but today I will talk about Big Room (and thank you Adin for mentioning it).

Roughly once a week I like to go to Beatport and listen to the top few songs on the charts.  Over the summer I was sitting with my good friend (DJ XMFD) in his house doing just this.  When we found the top tracks we were blown away.  Don't get me wrong, the majority of the tracks were pretty good.  Nice build up, somewhat decent progression, but then the drop came.  GOOD LORD.  Words can not describe my surprise to hear such a simplistic and lazy drop.  My first though was, "this has to be a joke".  There are different ways of mixing and performing for an audience based on the venue and the amount of people present and I was familiar with the genre of Big Room, but still, I looked at my friend like "what is this shit".  We continued through the top 10 to find that at least 6 of the songs were Big Room.  As we continued talking about it, we presented the idea that if you just replaced the drop with the drop from another song, then the entire track would be fixed.  Sitting in a room with one other person and a speaker set, I was talking the truth.  I did not even consider that this would be much better at a large venue with thousands of people surrounding me.

Since then I have a bit more respect for Big Room, because I have found a few songs that are good on the more individual level (such as "Epic").  However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and though I don't like to mix or listen to these songs now, I am guessing it is because my mind and performance experience (what little I have) is not fitting of this style.  That doesn't at all mean that I condemn the entire genre, I have hope for it as I do with all electronic music.

I love being surprised by a song, hearing the first few seconds of it with my finger on the "skip" button, and then pulling my hand away with my jaw dropped at how dumb I was for almost missing such an incredible song.  Drum and Bass really got me started into electro (Pendulum was the first group I knew by name), and this song reminds me of my beginnings so much that I honestly got a little nostalgic.  Nice build and quite a surprising turn around after the introduction to the song, this is quickly becoming one my favorite songs, and one of my favorites to drive to.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
063- Roksonix - Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment