Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

077 - Great Music is Discovered, Not Hand Delivered

Before I get into the music today I just want to take a minute to talk about an artist (I may do this more frequently from time to time) that you all should know if you like this genre, or maybe this will help you discover more of his material.  Every year djmag.com puts out a list of the top 100 DJs of the year, and making this list is a huge honor.  One of my favorite new groups , Project 46, barely made the list at #100, and it is still considered to be an incredible accomplishment.  While you can go back and see how artists have fared, how many spots they have moved since last year, and who is new to the list, there is one thing that remains consistent.   Armin Van Buuren.  Every year since the list started in 2007 he has been ranked #1, except for 2011 where he held the #2 spot behind David Guetta (who had an absolutely massive year).  You would think a huge artist like this would be well known by fans of electronic music everywhere, and you would be so wrong.  I have been asking the people I know who enjoy this music, and other then the ones who are DJs and spin some of his music, very few people have any idea who he is.  True, his stuff may not be on the radio in America and gets overshadowed by mainstream artists like Avicii, Skrillex, and David Guetta (who are all very talented, don't get me wrong), but this shows that people expect the music to come to them.  If you want to find unique, awesome, one of a kind music, DON'T DO THIS.  Where do you think I find 90% of my music?  I search blogs every day, listen to soundcloud streams, youtube artists, all just to find maybe one song that blows me away.  But it makes it all worth it to have in my library, share with my DJ friends, and share with all of you.  I guess the main point of this rant is that I hear so many people say they cant find good music so my advice to you is GET OUT THERE.  Look everywhere, anywhere, all over the walls, because the place you think you may find garbage music, may surprise you every once in a while.
That is a rant that has been holed up for sometime and it feels nice to finally get out of my system.
OK OFF MY SOAPBOX. Onto some music :)
This is the perfect example of trying new artists.  I first got hooked on Monstercat from listening to track by Pegboard Nerds and Project 46 and decided to listen to every song they release (3 a week), and I have found some of my favorite tracks through this process.  This track is just that, one of my favorite Electro tracks currently, surprising and incredible.  Sugar Rush by PIXL incorporates all of the best features of tracks into one; great tonality, good progression, a little dash of dubstep, nice bass, and a chorus that evolves throughout the track.  Give it a try and get out there to discover some new music! See you all right back here tomorrow for Banger Wednesday!
077 - PIXL - Sugar Rush


No comments:

Post a Comment