Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

079 - Story Time

Every once in a while you find an artist that really surprises you.  For me, that song recently has been KhoMha.  And there is a good story behind this too.  KhoMha is a really talented artist, but his style of electronic is a bit different than what is considered the norm.  Instead of just building up to a drop, he does a sort of "reverse drop" or anticlimax in some of his songs.  Honestly, I started out as not a huge fan of it but I am liking it more and more as time goes on.  There is a story about a song, and then another of his songs that I want to share with you.

STORY TIME:  So I was driving to do some errands yesterday, and was rushing home in order to meet the candidates that we are working with in order to try and find a new roommate.  Enter HUGE traffic jam on the highway, and when it is about to clear up this song comes on.
The jam starts to clear and we start moving, and of course I am rocking out in my car because thats one of my favorite things to do.  Next thing I know I look to my rear view mirror and see police lights, and look down to my speedometer: 86 in a 65.  Oops.  The cop comes over and asks me all the standard questions and I explain to him my situation, he is very understanding but still mad that I was driving so fast.  He asks why my phone is sitting on in the seat next to me, and was I texting and driving.  I said no and explained how I was playing music through bluetooth to my stereo.  He was so confused to see such a nice stereo in such an old car (1996) and started laughing.  *at this point i knew I could get off without a ticket because laughing cops are nice cops and are therefore considerate cops.  He cracks a joke or two about my car being so old and the stereo looking so "out of place", and then another about how "I must have been listening to techno beats or something".  At this point I lost it.  Started laughing uncontrollably.  Most likely it was nervous laughter but still, I figured since he was laughing it was cool if I did too.  He asks to hear what I was listening to out of curiosity and I put on Cyclone by KhoMha (not his best, but a nice anticlimax).  He says I should listen to something a bit slower in order to keep the car at a certain speed, tells me to stay safe, have a nice day, and he returns to his car.  I nearly jumped for joy.  Make a cop laugh and kiss his ass and occasionally everything works out in your favor.

But enough about my run ins with the police, lets get to some music.  Since I mentioned it, I will link Cyclone at the bottom of the post.  But my favorite song by KhoMha is Dimensional, which I honestly found through youtube comments (surprisingly some of the people who talk shit know what they are talking about).  This is a great face paced, in your face track track that doesn't stop and really drives it home with a very "stuck in your skull" mentality (another great music blog btw).  Enjoy it and I will see you back tomorrow for free/funky/kawaii friday, haven't decided which one yet (one coming up I will try to do all 3 in one day!).



No comments:

Post a Comment